NHLAA logo


Frequently Asked Questions

  • With limited exceptions, our services are available for people with income at or below 125% of the federal poverty level.
  • We can provide services to people 60 years or over regardless of income, but they must contact us directly to apply for legal services.
  • If you are undocumented, you should also contact us directly to apply.
If you need an attorney and you do not think you will qualify for free legal aid, you should contact the following places for assistance: Connecticut Bar Association – Find a Lawyer Find experienced lawyers in New Haven | New Haven County Bar Association (community.lawyer) 203-562-5750
Yes. We can help undocumented persons and we do not report immigration status to police or any other authority. If you are undocumented and need legal help, call us directly.
If you speak Spanish, NHLAA can provide a Spanish-speaking interpreter. If you speak a language other than Spanish, NHLAA can provide an interpreter by telephone.
Maybe. You may be able to resolve your legal problem with information or advice from a lawyer without going to court. However, in other cases, a lawyer from NHLAA may be able to represent you.
NHLAA does not handle personal injury claims, worker’s compensation claims, criminal cases, motor vehicle matters, foreclosure, bankruptcy, collections, or probate matters.