To apply for free legal services, please contact Statewide Legal Services of Connecticut. Statewide Legal Services is a legal aid program that screens applicants for financial eligibility, gathers basic information about the applicant’s legal issue, provides advice, and where appropriate, refers cases to us for further assistance. Depending on the type of case you have, Statewide Legal Services may be able to refer your case to us or to another attorney or legal services organization. You can call their hotline or apply online:

Toll-free: 1-800-453-3320
From Middletown and Hartford: 860-344-0380

Hotline Call-in hours:
9 a.m. – 12 noon, 1-2 p.m.
Monday through Friday

Apply for legal help online.

You can also apply by text. Simply text the word APPLY to 860-300-3845 and answer the questions as you are prompted. Standard messaging and data rates may apply.

Need help with a housing problem?

If you are facing eviction or losing your housing subsidy (such as Section 8), you may have the right to a free lawyer. Call 1-800-559-1565 or get more info at

You can also visit to get answers to your legal questions.

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I know if I will qualify?

• With limited exceptions, our services are available only for people with income at or below 125% of the federal poverty level.

• We can provide services to people 60 years or over regardless of income, but they must contact us directly to apply for legal services.

• If you are undocumented, you should also contact us directly to apply.

If you need an attorney and you do not think you will qualify for free legal aid, you should contact the following for assistance:

Connecticut Bar Association – Find a Lawyer

Find experienced lawyers in New Haven | New Haven County Bar Association (

Can I get help if I am undocumented?

Yes. We can help undocumented persons and we do not report immigration status to police or any other authority. If you are undocumented and need legal help, call us directly.

What if I primarily speak a language other than English?

If you speak Spanish, NHLAA can provide a Spanish-speaking interpreter. If you speak a language other than Spanish, NHLAA can provide an interpreter by telephone.

Will I receive direct representation from a lawyer in court?

Maybe. You may be able to resolve your legal problem with information or advice from a lawyer without going to court. However, in other cases, a lawyer from NHLAA may be able to represent you.

Are there legal problems NHLAA cannot help me with?

NHLAA does not handle personal injury claims, worker’s compensation claims, criminal cases**, motor vehicle issues, foreclosure, bankruptcy, collections, and probate matters.

** We only accept criminal matters directly from the public defender.

Not from Connecticut?
Find a legal aid office in the United States or around the world.